While it is true that specialists and people with skillsets bring solidarity to an organization, it is also noteworthy that leaders like CEO’s, Directors, and Managers actually run the show. Not only this, leaders write the success story for any organization and even countries.
There are some clear traits that denote that you are or can become a great leader.
- By natural leaders: Leadership can be taught but cannot be added to one’s persona. This is something that comes naturally to you. But by sheer hard work, dedication and being courageous, leaders can become Great leaders.
“LEADERS AREN’T BORN THEY ARE MADE. AND THEY ARE MADE JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE. THROUGH HARD WORK. AND THAT’S THE PRICE WE WILL HAVE PAY TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL. OR ANY GOAL.” – Vince Lombardi
- Help others, grow: You are always perceived as someone who wants others to be successful. The most important trait of a Great leader definitely, is the one who believes and work towards making others reach their potential by not showing them what can be done but by showing how it can be done.
“BEFORE YOU ARE A LEADER. SUCCESS IS ALL ABOUT GROWING YOURSELF. WHEN YOU BECOME A LEADER. SUCCESS IS ALL ABOUT GROWING OTHERs” – Jack Welch
- Active listener: Even though you might feel that a leader is someone who has his own baggage of work and stress, you might be amazed to know that a true leader listens carefully to his/her environment. That environment gives him/her the strength to extract out the best and rule the situations.
- Grounded: By the tough experiences of life, they understand what is rock bottom and based on that they always make decisions. They are so much thorough in what they are working on, that it is really difficult to actually prove that they are wrong. While just a simple success will make us believe that we are the moon already, for them it is something like a usual success that adds on to other big goals.
- Let your team breathe: Leadership should stem from giving people enough space to breathe. And this is the hallmark of a great leader. They know that micro managing never helps, as everybody is capable enough to handle small issues that can be solved by them if they are truly motivated. In many successful organizations leaders believe that if you give what people NEED, you basically don’t have to do much.
- Communication: Leaders are not only great in actions but also immaculate in communication. They use the right words that can resonate correctly to the stakeholders. This is where they win. Most of the communication that they do is not actually written or spoken.
- Truly pragmatic: They have high emotional intelligence and that put them onto a pedestal of high thinking individuals without being touchy about a particular issue. They are immensely practical and know when to change guards. But at the same time they are decisive. You will hardly find a great leader who is not sure of what they are doing.
- Success and failure are certain: Great leaders are never perturbed by failures. They had played this game more than anybody else. They know that after every success there could be an equal chance of failure. This is what differentiates them from others. They learn from success that failure is inevitable and vice versa. For ordinary people like us, it is completely different. We think that we have achieved everything the soon as we have tasted success.
Watch this great talk from Simon Sinek to learn how great leaders
Vivek is an entrepreneur and a passionate blogger. You can find him at www.telcus.com or on twitter @meharvik
Author: Bryan Oliver
Bryan Oliver is the founder of www.flight4success and is a strategic leader, success coach, and best-selling author. Bryan coaches on confidence, mindset, and habit creation to help you reach your dreams.